Last week, we looked at Outfitting SEO: Back to Basics.
We explored some of the fundamental—yet essential—search engine optimization techniques that many websites don’t have.
"Title tags, h1 tags, and meta description tags are an excellent place to start. It’s like putting on a pair of pants—it’s really the bare minimum (pun intended) before you leave the house. Ideally, you’d also want to put on a shirt and some shoes. Also basic—also important."
Matt Mesenger, our director of web marketing at Aztek, has a few more ideas and suggestions to add to the list of SEO basics. Think of his advice as ways to avoid errors like putting both legs in one SEO pant leg and falling over.
Fundamental, Essential SEO
- Google considers more than 200 ranking factors when ranking websites, so it’s easy to lose sight of what can actually have a positive effect on a company’s bottom line. In many cases, it’s the most basic things that can and do help, but that are ultimately ignored.
- The worst thing you can do is spend a lot of time working on something that doesn’t generate leads or revenue at the expense of things that are less time-intensive but that can generate lots of business for your company.
- When it comes to SEO, it’s easy to get lost in the weeds with everything that could be done with your website. It’s important to keep a focus on the things that are most likely to generate more business. In many cases, it’s the basic tactics that can get you on your way.
- The web marketing industry changes rapidly. What works today won’t necessarily work tomorrow. So it’s important to stay on top of the strategies and tactics that could work, but it’s vital to know how to prioritize these tactics so you can earn more money through the web.
- It’s important to learn how to walk before you run. Establish a solid foundation with basic SEO tactics and the site will be better set up for long-term success.
What do you think are the most essential SEO fundamentals? Does SEO seem overwhelming to begin? Are our clothing metaphors being dragged out a bit too much? Let us know below.