At Aztek, we are actively integrating generative AI tools into our digital marketing workflow. However, we’re not just adopting this powerful new technology “willy-nilly.” We feel that it must be done with a strategic intent, commitment to ethical practices, and clear client benefits. Here, we share our stance on generative AI, detailing both its advantages and our responsible approach to its use.
Why Embrace Generative AI?
Generative AI is not just a shiny new toy. It’s already proving to be nothing short of a transformative, technological revolution. While the pace at which AI is developing is mind-bending right now, we feel confident AI will soon feel as native to our work as tools like Visual Studio or Photoshop.
To name a few obvious benefits:
- Predictive Insights: AI unveils patterns and insights beyond human capabilities, leading to more informed strategies.
- Innovative Recommendations: AI’s capacity to generate unique ideas can lead to creative solutions that might otherwise be overlooked.
- Empowering Teams: It allows our skilled professionals to focus more on strategic thinking and less on routine tasks.
- Improved Outcomes: Studies, such as one from Harvard, indicate a notable increase in performance when team members utilize AI tools.
Addressing AI Concerns
If it’s not clear already, we’re big fans of AI and its potential – but with great power comes great responsibility. There are some legitimate drawbacks to AI that impact the way that we use it as an agency. These challenges don’t make AI any less useful as a tool, but it does mean that you should know how to wield it first.
Aztek's Do's and Don'ts of AI Usage
With so many unknowns and rapid changes in these tools, we recognize that generative AI can be a source of apprehension and anxiety for some businesses. To mitigate these, we feel that the best guardrails are solid values and guidelines to help our team take advantage of these tools while maintaining quality and human oversight.
To ensure the responsible use of AI, we have established a set of official company guidelines for our team:
- Do use AI to improve customer experiences: AI can be leveraged to better understand your customers and provide them with personalized experiences, but always with their knowledge and consent.
- Do respect user privacy: Always inform users about the data you're collecting, why you're collecting it, and how it's being used. Obtain informed consent wherever necessary.
- Do anonymize data: Strip all personal identifiers from the data to protect user privacy. This is particularly important when dealing with large datasets.
- Do adhere to regulations: Comply with all relevant privacy laws and regulations in your region, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the EU.
- Do conduct regular audits: Regularly assess your AI systems for accuracy, fairness, and bias. Make necessary adjustments to avoid harm to individuals or groups.
- Do be transparent: Be clear about how and when AI is being used. Users should be able to understand when an AI is involved in their interaction with your services.
- Do provide opt-out options: If possible, give users the ability to opt out of certain AI interactions. Not all users will be comfortable interacting with AI, and their preferences should be respected.
- Don't use AI to deceive: Don't use AI to create misleading or false impressions. For instance, don't use AI to generate fake reviews or misleading content.
- Don't exploit user data: Avoid using AI to exploit personal data for unethical purposes, such as predatory advertising or manipulation.
- Don't neglect data security: Don't leave the data you collect unprotected. Implement strong data security measures to prevent breaches.
- Don't ignore bias: Don't disregard potential biases in your AI systems. Biased AI can result in unfair outcomes and damage your brand's reputation.
- Don't exclusively rely on AI: While AI can enhance decision-making, it shouldn't replace human judgment entirely, particularly in sensitive areas like customer disputes or complaints.
- Don't use AI without oversight: Don't implement AI systems without proper human oversight. There should always be a mechanism for human intervention if the AI behaves unexpectedly.
- Don't avoid accountability: If an AI system makes an error, don't shirk responsibility. Understand what went wrong, address it transparently, and take steps to prevent it from happening again.
We hope that by sharing these guidelines with you, you can feel confident that Aztek is committed to adopting new technology that will benefit our clients in a responsible and safe way. At Aztek, we believe that the true potential of AI is realized when it's aligned with our core values. We encourage our clients to join us in embracing and unlocking the potential of this amazing technology.
Curious about how ethical AI can transform your marketing strategy? Contact Aztek for a conversation about how generative AI can help your digital marketing.